*Arcade  

Login | Register

All times are UTC - 6 hours

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to somtbackup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Poems and funny phrases. Captions welcome.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:20 pm 
The Pervy Mana Beast

Location: That place you go on mornings when half asleep and you dream hallucinations...
The River of Time
Spoiler!

(Yup, thats my sis. ^.^ Below are some of mine.)
Breaking the Chains
Spoiler!

Im told my poems tend to be deep. *shrugs and grins* I write what feels and sounds write is all. Below is another of my Sis's.

Devotion
Spoiler!

Life and people of the Irony Inn
Spoiler!

This last one was done by me for a friend with a story based chat box.

Welp, Ill find more later, but four is a nice start yes? Post anything you like. I know we have a writer or two here. But the rest will be in the old archives... *winces* I just got the dust outa my nose from the last dive... >.<; Tell me what ya think! :hah:

How dare you accuse me of being cheap. Tsk tsk.Image

Post subject: Re: Poems and funny phrases. Captions welcome.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:47 pm 
The Gatekeeper

Ooey-Gooey was a worm, a little worm was he.
He sat upon a railroad track, a train he did not see.
Ooey-Gooey!

Updated: 9-24-10

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:27 pm 
Self-Proclaimed 'Coke' Addict

I've heard of Alex's poem before, I really like the poems that you and your sister made, Strat.
I don't have anything to compete with that, but I remember this from when I was a kid (I don't remember what it's called or who wrote it, but here it is anyway):

Spoiler!

The one I've heard of was much shorter than this (from line 2 to line 13), but still really funny!
That, and colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Mana Knight :sword:

Who am I?
I am...
...the Mana Knight! ImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:57 pm 
The Pervy Mana Beast

Location: That place you go on mornings when half asleep and you dream hallucinations...
In responce I must say that Squall and Seifer could draw their blades and shoot each other. :fawn:

Wonderful, that poem was fun to read. :hah:

Untitled
Spoiler!

That little twinge

Spoiler!

I added to the second one, it was only two couplets before. But as I read it I saw room for more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:02 am 
Top o' the Stack

Highscores: 1
Spoiler!

>.>
<.<
Okay so the only punch line was the first line... I just... er... got carried away.

*re-reads for spell check, thought occurs*
Wow did my inner-Solstace write this? Damn this is dark.. I should be emo, I'd be so good at it... -.-' if I wasn't always trying to be happy. ehehehe.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:39 pm 
The Pervy Mana Beast

Sweet Bread Rolls

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:35 pm 
Top o' the Stack

Now I'm hungry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:35 pm 

I'd just like to open this post by asking: Can we please, please, PLEASE, for the love of GOD, get rid of those icons set on the side of the messages by default? The bloody things actually lagged me so much I had to cut this from typing it in Notepad and paste it into this window. It's bloody painful.

Here are a few monstrously bad poems I wrote during my freshman and sophomore years of college, which I happened to find in an old Homesite folder. I will not deign to even give their titles.

Blank-verse-inspired-by-a-bus-stop-that-I-thought-was-good-just-because-it-got-applause-at-a-public-reading:

Spoiler!

Equally-monstrous-holocaust-inspired-blank-verse-that-also-was-read-publicly

Spoiler!

Damnable-Poe-parodying-monstrosity-that-I-thought-was-clever-when-I-wrote-it

Spoiler!

This last is the only one of this bunch that I still consider any good, though I don't think it showcases my true penchant for composition. I used to hate it, having written it while not knowing its inspiration, then five years after I wrote it, I met a girl named Rose, who died of cancer last September, and it turns out that according to her brother she had adored the poem. She was 19 years old.

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:52 pm 

Also, I'm not so sure this can be considered "funny," but it is captioned. I made a set of "Austencats" out of old pictures of my cats. Only fans of the greatest romantic satire author of all time, Jane Austen (mostly Pride & Prejudice and Sense & Sensibility), will actually understand these.

Duchess as Darcy
Duchess as Kitty
Duchess and Yoyo as Mrs. and Mr. Bennett
Duchess as Elizabeth
Duchess as Elizabeth
Yoyo as Mr. Bennett
Yoyo as Wickham
Yoyo as Lady Catherine
Yoyo and Duchess as Darcy and Elizabeth
Hobo as Willoughby

And just for fun, one Austendog (R.I.P. Brandy, 7/4/1993-12/21/2008)

Brandy as Lydia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:32 am 
The Pervy Mana Beast

*edited cause of late night irritation at server crash*

I praised your skill in artful ways, but death struck the server as our posts met ways.
Apolaris I fear my new poem and post, met demise crossing arms against your host.

So here I am sitting, about to retry, my hand at remembering oh dear oh my.
Pain I will feel, but I must do it again, here I go let me sit and once more zen.

A shadow's musing 'retold'
Spoiler!

Last edited by StrategicCompletionist on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:46 am 
Top o' the Stack

.... Uuhhhh Strat I dunno if you know this... but that's not Arc.. that's Apolaris. (first thread of the night for me)

Okay for the first time in... a long time actually!... I've sorta written a piece...
Well okay, since I like to talk I'll explain or all of you will be lost.

I dunno how many of you do so but Alex and I play Dungeons and Dragons with my parents and their friends (a veritable nest of geeks). My sorceror (Davidicus *sniff*) died. T-T Killed by a bear. My new character is Irvine Meadowfold, who likes to be called "Fletch" like the fletching on an arrow (since he's an all-out archer), anywho, his nickname on a whole is "Fletch, The Flaming Gay Archer!" I do the total fop of the era voice rather well! Call me and ask me to do it for you sometime, I get a kick out of it everytime. And I obviously mean no offense to any and all of you here who may be homosexual... but anyway, to make things in the campaign a little more 3d than just rolling dice, I have given him some backstory.. when finished.. I realized that it wasn't half bad a backstory, as well as integrates well with backup character #2 Solstace (Fletch was #1, after davidicus died!)... but well what do you guys think?

Spoiler!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:04 am 

Really! I was the DM for First Edition AD&D from about 1995 through 2006. We had 18 people at our peak, including some of the most popular kids at two of the local high schools, and six Eagle Scouts including me and my brother Mike, who is now in army training in Georgia. We also traveled to the Tuxedo Re. Faire together in 2003.

Unfortunately, when I left for college in 2002, my youngest brother chose to move all 100 or so of my first edition books that I had gotten free, including the incredibly rare D&D (not AD&D) Master's boxed set, into the unfinished basement, and they molded over. I had to throw them all out.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:54 pm 
Self-Proclaimed 'Coke' Addict

I saw this on a shirt, and I started laughing. Too bad I didn't have enough to buy it. :P
Spoiler!

Mana Knight :sword:

Who am I?
I am...
...the Mana Knight! ImageImage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:59 am 
Top o' the Stack

Hahahahah!! I like that. I'm gonna have to use that one on Mike or Diontae should they get glum on me.

>.> <.< did anyone like it? I wrotes that m'self T-T.

Bah well it was rather lame anyway...

Yeah Ap, we kinda stick to 3rd Ed D&D. My mom, dad, me, alex, and friends: Pat, Chuck, and (non-related) Uncle Stewart! Most, if not all, my mom+dad's friends play D&D, but we find that any more than 6 players, things begin to REALLY SLOW DOWN!! So we stick to a cap of around 6 players, give or take one.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:31 am 

I found that with an 18-person group, about 10-12 seemed to be the median for how many showed up to a given meeting. Typically I would use 3 techniques to keep things moving.

1. Split parties: I would have multiple paths and even adventures for the parties to use, and they would split themselves up for the sake of getting through them.

2. Minigames: I created a "warfare" card game for them to play while they weren't up.

3. Mass combat situations: Used the "war machine" rules from first edition D&D (not AD&D). Groups of characters, typically by class, would lead different groups of armies and strategize together.

For the end battles, things at times got chaotic, but after a few campaigns, people put together generic "if-then" strategies that got things moving smoothly and each player took about 15-30 seconds per turn, although with lacking variety they did actually lose to more than one intelligent main villain.